The Ashanti Regional Director of Communication of the governing New Patriotic Party Mr Akwasi Kyei has lambasted Honourable Alban Sumana Bagbin in his recent commends about disable people in political positions.
The Ashanti Regional director of Communication of the NPP catalogued this in his response to the Nadowli Kaleo legislator
Read full statement below:
1. I write to expressly condemn the irresponsible comment that was made by the Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Hon. Alban S.K. Bagbin. His unguided comment sought to create the impression that Hon. Dr. Seidu Danaa, wasn’t fit to serve as the Minister for Chieftaincy because he was a blindman.
2. Hon. Alban S. K. Bagbin remains the longest serving Member of Parliament, longest serving Majority Leader under the fourth Republic of Ghana and is in the race to be the Presidential Candidate of NDC hence, his comment cannot be taken lightly.
3. His comment was myopic, unconstitutional, backward, irresponsible and lacks common sense. His comment further exposes why Parliament has done very little to uphold the Disability Act 2006 (Act 715).
4. Article 17 (1) of the 1992 constitution states that “all persons shall be equal before the law. 17(2) A person shall not be discriminated against on grounds of gender, race, colour, ethnic origin, religion, creed or social or economic status. 17(3) For the purposes of this article, ‘discriminate’ means to give different treatment to different persons attributable only or mainly to their respective descriptions by race, place of origin, political opinions, colour, gender, occupation, religion or creed, whereby persons of one description are subjected to disabilities or restrictions to which persons of another
description are not made subject or are granted privileges or advantages
which are not granted to persons of another description.”
5. A person of his stature in politics and the Parliament of Ghana should be aware that disability isn’t inability. Mention can be made of Franklin D. Roosevelt (Former President of USA), Thomas Edison (One of the great Fathers of electricity), Edwin Krebs (Nobel Prize Winner), Stephen Hawkings (Scientist), Almighty Albert Einstein, Akwasi Kyei (Regional Communication Director – NPP, Ashanti Region), etc who have proven that disability isn’t inability.
6. Again, time has proven without number that not all persons who appear “whole” are sane.
7. It is also disheartening that his party, the NDC, hasn’t released any official release to condemn this misguided statement. I am by this release, calling on the NDC, to sanction Hon. Alban Bagbin by suspending him from their upcoming Presidential elections.
8. It is equally surprising that the Minority in Parliament which has a penchant for holding press conferences does not see the need to hold a press conference to condemn their member and Second Deputy Speaker. I am calling on the Minority in Parliament to kick start measures to sanction Hon. Alban Bagbin by demoting him from his current position in Parliament. Again, they should hold a press conference and condemn same.
9. Failure to sanction Hon. Alban Bagbin will suggest to all persons with disability, myself included, and all well meaning Ghanaians that his comment reflected the opinion and deep-seated sentiments of NDC members and the Minority in Parliament.
10. Leaders must learn to speak well and also promote an inclusive society. Instead of relegating persons with disability to the background, we must assist them to contribute effectively to the development agenda of Ghana.
(Ashanti Regional Communication Director – NPP)