What are the possible effects?
Breaking away from the United Kingdom will have repercussions for both Scotland and the United Kingdom.
Among these are:
- decision on which currency to use if Scotland breaks away
- requirement to reapply to the European Union if Scotland breaks away
- citizenship, travel between the UK and a separated Scotland, and residency
- public sector funding the position of firms based in the UK or Scotland with business interests in the other country
- how to distribute energy and oil reserves in Scotland.