Nkrumah would’ve rejected GITMO 2 – Samia

Ghana’s foremost president Kwame Nkrumah would have rejected the two ex-detainees of the Guantanamo Bay, who are currently residing in Ghana, his daughter Samia Nkrumah believes.

Mahmud Umar Muhammad Bin Atef and Khalid Muhammad Salih Al-Dhuby will be living in the country for the next two years following an agreement between Ghana and the US. Government has been assuring Ghanaians the two ex-detainees of Yemeni origin pose no threat to the country as their activities will be closely monitored.

Samia’s assertion is in sharp contrast with Nkrumah’s former secretary K.B Asante, who had told Star News earlier the Osagyefo would have accepted the two Yemenis.

“I don’t think people understand the issues. It’s a pity that the problem has not been properly explained to Ghanaians and that many people have forgotten what happened some 10 years ago in America and what happened in Guantanamo Bay… I was with Kwame Nkrumah, if we had been faced with a situation like this, he would’ve allowed them to come subject to certain questions and understanding with the Americans,” the elder statesman said.

Speaking on Starr Chat with host Bola Ray on Wednesday, the flagbearer hopeful of the Convention People’s Party (CPP) said “it is not everyone who worked with my father think like him.”

She added: “Nkrumah stood against any kind of control. He rejected the IMF condition for a loan.”

In another development, the former chairperson of the CPP scored the John Mahama-led administration zero when asked to rate his performance.

“It has not delivered,” Samia stated. “This is why we need to replace it and need an alternative. The failure is not specific only to this administration. And that is simply because we have abandoned economic planning and submitted ourselves to prescription which does not work. It has not worked for others and it will not work for us.”


Source: Ghana/starrfm