The Minister for Sanitation and Water Resources, Cecilia Abena Dapaah in her address at this morning’s “Meet the Press” series organized by the Ministry of Information outlined the sanitation infrastructure components with regards to the Sinohydro facility projects.
She mentioned the following projects to be done at the various selected sites across the country;
• One No. 1,800 metric tonnes per day Incineration Plant for Accra West
• Three No. 200 metric tonnes per day Transfer Stations for Accra East
• Two No. 200 metric tonnes per day Transfer Stations for Kumasi
• Two No. 100 metric tonnes per day Transfer Stations for Sekondi-Takoradi
• Two No. 100 metric tonnes per day Transfer Stations for Tamale.
In order to achieve the above objective, the Minister further stated that,
“the Ministry is creating Land-Banks at strategic locations to be utilised as equity to support the private sector in the development of waste management infrastructure. The process of acquiring the first four parcels of land is in progress”.
Also, Hon. Dapaah disclosed that, measures to overhaul the waste management infrastructure regime as well as the extensive engagement with prospective local and foreign investors are far advanced to transform the existing poorly-managed landfill facilities. ‘The new direction of the Ministry is to pursue the development of more sustainable waste treatment options such as Waste-to-Energy, Composting and Recycling, starting from Kpone and Kumasi’, she disclosed.