Kessben CEO cleared of all charges

Kesse

Mr Kwabena Kesse, also known as Kessben, the Director of the Kessben Group of Companies, was this morning cleared of charges relating to forgery of documents and money laundering amounting to over $127 million, that had been brought against him.

Mr Kesse had been charged with two counts of money laundering and forgery of documents in connection with one of his companies, Kessben Shipping, Forwarding and Trading Ltd.

Presiding judge, Mr Francis Obiri, ordered that the matter be struck out as there was no basis for prosecution due to lack of evidence.

Attorney General Marrietta Brew Appiah-Oppong ordered the court to drop the charges.

Mr Kesse’s supporting lawyer Ohene Gyan explained that the Kessben boss therefore has no case pending before the court.

Lawyers also put in an application for the return of his passport, which had been retained by the court registry, which was granted.

Lawyer Gyan said that all those who stood as sureties or security for the GHC 350 million requested as bail would have all their securities safely returned to them.

Mr Kesse was arrested by the Bureau of National Investigations on Tuesday, July 29, 2014 together with three officials of the Stanbic Bank for allegedly facilitating the laundering of the said cash.

When he first appeared in court on July 31, 2014, the same judge, Mr Francis Obiri, dismissed an application for bail. When he re-appeared on August 7, 2014 his lawyer re-applied for bail, and was successful.

Mr Kesse was represented by a team of lawyers led by Carl Adongo, and that included Akua Werekoa and Ohene Gyan.