The acting President of the Republic, Vice President Alhaji Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, has, with the consent of the President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, set-up a Commission of Inquiry into the events of violence which occurred during the by-election held in the Ayawaso West Wuogon constituency on 31st January, 2019.
The Commission is composed of:
- Justice Emile Short – Chairperson
- Henrietta Mensah Bonsu – Member
- Patrick K. Acheampong – Member
Mr. Ernest Kofi Abotsi, former Dean of the Faculty of Law of GIMPA and private legal practitioner, has been appointed as Secretary to the Commission.
The terms of reference of the Commission are:
- to make a full, faithful and impartial inquiry into the circumstances of, and establish the facts leading to, the events and associated violence during the Ayawaso West Wuogon By-Election on the 31st day of January 2019;
- to identify any person responsible for or who has been involved in the events, associated violence and injuries;
- to inquire into any matter which the Commission considers incidental or reasonably related to the causes of the events and the associated violence and injuries; and
- to submit within one month its report to the President giving reasons for its findings and recommendations, including appropriate sanctions, if any.
Director of Communications