37 killed in Tunisian beach massacre

Tunisia killings

At least 37 people have been killed and 36 others wounded after a hotel in the Tunisian coastal city of Sousse came under attack by unidentified gunmen.

The death toll in the attack on the holiday resort has risen to 37, Health Minister Saeed al-Abadi tells Tunisian Radio Mosaique.

An interior ministry official had earlier said that tourists were among those who had been killed in Friday’s attack.

One attacker had been killed by police and a search operation was ongoing, with reports that another attacker was involved.

The attack was on the Imperial Marhaba hotel, local radio said, according to the Reuters news agency. Other reports indicated that two hotels may have been attacked.

Local reports indicated that gunmen may have specifically targeted tourists at the resort – but that the reports have not yet been confirmed.

The death toll was expected to rise.

There were no other details immediately available.

Tunisia has been on high alert since March when gunmen attacked the Bardo museum in Tunis, killing a group of foreign tourists in one of the worst attacks in a decade in the North African country.

The new attack would be another blow to the country’s economy, which relies heavily on tourism.

Credit: AlJazeera